Innovation and Design are two very wide notions, they are easily explained but much less easy understood. Luckily you don’t need to understand them completely to make use of them.
A Great example to me are community sourced ideas, pages that combine a great idea with loads of others or give one person with a great idea the backing/support he or she needs to continue. I hope I can one day be of assistance by adding to an existing idea or solution, or coming up with a solution for something.
The greatest thing though about most of these community (actually all of them) people collaborate out of free will, this unforced collaboration makes idea creation and elaboration so much easier. Compromises or adaptations -to the existing idea- are more easily made since someone started the project to get feedback and suggestions and is will to use these things.
And most of all these innovations are a group effort, so no one will claim or want to claim single right to the solution, evading troublesome things as patent wars etc.
I do not only want to learn from these online communities but I want to add something I feel is useful or even useless(to me) and hope I is useful for someone else.
What changes the definition of community?
- The definition of community has developed from offline transferring it into the online world.
What it was before was constructed as a group-base forum from a single particular area. If you dwell from the referred area, you automatically become a part of that community -This definition is obsolete. In the online world, social interactions are no longer confined by physical presence. This makes them more mobile and flexible, growing parallel with technology innovation and the rapid transformation of society -This leads to a next level of demand towards simplicity, having your networks at your finger tips, which channels opportunities for the new breed of open innovator designers to devise sustainable format of online platforms and values that are future proof (this is what I’m hoping to learn from this Project Community course).
- I did a small research about what online community most of indonesian students, those who are currently studying at THUAS, use as a social media for exchanging thoughts and getting connected:
- http://www.kaskus.co.id -The Largest Indonesian Community; this forum helps the students to keep updated of discussions for whatever’s happening in Indonesia and all over the Globe.
- https://www.facebook.com -One of the Largest Social Networking in the World; since they’re studying abroad, this platform not only helps them keeping in touch with their families and friends but also a media for sharing their lists of personal interests, contact information and other personal information to get attached with others who have something in common stated on their profile.
- https://www.twitter.com -An Online Social Networking Service and Microblogging Service; mostly used for pointless babble, conversational, pass-along value, self-promotion, spam, news.
- http://www.youtube.com -A Video Sharing Website; when things get dull and boring or feeling lonely, they know just the resource to look for :p